Pact Inc. seeks candidates to fill the position of Program Officer, Reforms and Advocacy for the USAID/Enhance Non-Governmental Actors and Grassroots Engagement (ENGAGE) activity in Ukraine.
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Supervisor: Senior Program Manager
Job type: Full time
Duration: one year with possibility of the extension
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. The promise of a healthy life. Of a decent livelihood. Of sustainable natural resources that benefit communities. Now more than ever in its 50-year history, Pact is helping millions of people who are poor and marginalized discover and build their own solutions and take ownership over their future.
Pact enables systemic solutions that allow those who are poor and marginalized to earn a dignified living, be healthy, and take part in the benefits that nature provides. Pact accomplishes this by strengthening local capacity, forging effective governance systems and transforming markets into a force for development.
About the ENGAGE activity
Pact, a non-profit organization based in Kyiv, Ukraine is implementing a USAID-funded project Enhance Non-Governmental Actors and Grassroots Engagement (ENGAGE) activity.
The purpose of ENGAGE is to increase citizen awareness of and engagement in civic activities at the national, regional and local level. ENGAGE focuses efforts at both the grassroots level to educate and activate citizens to engage in civic initiatives as well as the national and regional (oblast and rayon) levels to improve organizational capacities, build coalitions, support advocacy and watchdog initiatives. The ENGAGE activity primarily focuses on key democratic reforms and cross- cutting themes, such as: anti-corruption, civil education and transparency and accountability including electoral processes, inclusive development of various vulnerable groups, youth and EU integration.
Position is contingent upon funding.
The Program Officer, Reforms and Advocacy is responsible for planning and coordinating program activities, developing and maintaining working relationships with civil society organizations and other political actors throughout Ukraine, including community groups, media and international sponsors. S/he ensures that the ENGAGE activity produces high quality results through partnerships in a timely manner. The Program Officer will work closely with the Senior Program Manager and partner organizations.
- Conduct program activities related to advocacy in key democratic reform areas: local and national governance, human rights, electoral process, judicial independence, anti-corruption and transparency, civil society development, environmental sustainability;
- Assist NGOs in their advocacy and outreach to citizens in coordination with the Senior Program Manager, Deputy Chief of Party and Chief of Party;
- In coordination with Program Officers and the Grants Department, appraise submitted grant proposals and narrative reports of grantees from the programmatic viewpoint;
- Serve as technical advisor to ENGAGE subawardees and other partners, including providing direct technical assistance to NGO grantees;
- Analyze and provide timely political-economic, comparative and evaluative analysis on critical aspects of reforms processes and ENGAGE partners’ impact therein;
- In coordination with Communication Department, assess the development of specific sectors of civil society;
- Coordinate civic initiatives in various reforms;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field;
- At least 3 years of work experience in the areas of political transition, analyses, and political communication;
- Deep understanding of Ukraine’s political-economy, transitional challenges, the country’s Euro-Atlantic aspirations;
- Fluent in English and Ukrainian;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage a complex workload and deadlines;
- Excellent analytical, writing (including editing) and presentation skills;
- Proactive, fast-thinker, and able to work with minimal supervision;
- Demonstrated commitment to the goals of ENGAGE;
- Understanding of civil society organizations in Ukraine;
- Advanced level keyboard skills and computer literacy on a variety of software applications (MS Word, Excel, Access, etc.);
- Strong critical thinking and attentiveness to detail;
- Excellent teamwork skills.
- Experience with international donor-funded programs, particularly USAID-funded contracts.
Please send your CV and motivation letter to email@example.com with “Program Officer, Reforms and Advocacy” in the subject line. The position is open until filled.
Please include at least three contacts of your former supervisors who can provide reference for you. Only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
Pact is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity and is dedicated to the fair and equal treatment of all employees without regard to gender, race, color, religion, creed, age, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, disability, or marital status. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.