Since 2008, Pact has been implementing USAID’s civil society programs in Ukraine, including the USAID/ENGAGE activity, which was launched in October 2016.
Period of performance: January 2021 – September 2021
USAID/ENGAGE’s communication strategy puts an emphasis on strategic communication outside of the organization. Many publications and promotion pieces are planned, especially for non-Ukrainian speakers. Moreover, the current COVID-19 situation requires more communication with partners and key target audiences online, therefore the number of analytical and promotion pieces has increased. In addition, USAID/ENGAGE entered its final year of the program, which means focus on the learning agenda, success stories, and lessons learned. To ensure the high-quality of the product from the language point of view, Pact is seeking a Line Editor to provide services till September 30, 2021.
The proposed SOW will not only focus on big tasks such as reports to donors but also cover learning agenda related analytical pieces, memos, articles, etc.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Enter editorial changes to text, presentations and tables electronically only after copy editing done by USAID/ENGAGE (using track changes).
- Check spelling for correctness, conformity to USAID/ENGAGE style and consistency.
- Check grammar and punctuation for correctness and consistency.
- Check word usage to ensure that the text is easy to read and understand.
- Edit chapter titles and subheadings to ensure they reflect the message inside.
- Check formatting of chapters, sections, subsections, paragraphs, lists (e.g. with bullet points), and table and figure captions for consistency.
- Check that references have been cited in the correct sequence and with proper links.
- Eliminate repetition of text, tables, or figures and cut out redundant sentences/passages.
- Question possible factual errors.
- Consider and query what might have been omitted. Revise the material to take into account the authors’ responses to editorial queries.
- Line editing the semi-annual report.
- Line editing the annual report.
- Proofreading of analytical materials (irregular basis).
- Proofreading of publications and promo materials (irregular basis).
- Native speaker (American English is preferred).
- Previous track record of line editing and proofreading for international organizations and/or embassies.
- Demonstrated understanding of Ukrainian civil society context.
- Knowledge of different reference styles is a plus.
Please send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Line Editor” in the subject line by January 12, 2021 COB:
- Cover letter confirming the interest and availability for the indicated period of work.
- Financial Proposal (in UAH/USD) specifying normal and urgent rates per hour. Please explain what constitutes the notion of urgent rate.
- References (contact information (name, organization, position, email address) for at least three referees).
- Pact Generic BioData Form_V1 (can be found here).
Please send your questions to email@example.com